Essie Fall 2020 Nail Polish Collection

 I don't know about y'all but I am fully ready to leave summer 2020 behind and embrace Fall! The hard part about that is I live in Charleston, SC and it's still roughly 80-90 degrees here. One way I can get into the fall feeling (beyond drinking Starbucks Pumpkin Cream Cold Brews) is to transition my nail polish to Fall colors. Essie recently launched their Fall 2020 collection and I instantly gravitated towards the deep blue and plum shades. I stopped by Target last weekend and picked up the new plum shade "swing of things" and tested it out, but let me give you a quick run down of the new collection before my mini review on the polish.

Essie Fall 2020 (image credit: Essie.com)

The Fall 2020 collection was inspired by "a walk in the jungle" and features six shades ranging from the yellow-orange of "don't be spotted" to the bright blue of "waterfall in love." The yellow "don't be spotted" and coppery-brown "cargo cameo" each have tone on tone pearl which ups the shimmer factor for those two shades. Each shade is $9 USD and can be found wherever you regularly buy Essie polish. 

For my skin tone I think the more flat shades like the green of "heart of the jungle," blue of "waterfall in love" and purple of "swing of things" works best. I think the red "adrenaline brush" has too many yellow/orange undertones for me and I'm not a huge fan of the copper or yellow-orange color personally. 

I picked up "swing of things" and found that it was a bit darker than the images shows online. I was able to get good coverage with two coats and used an Essie gel-like top coat to complete the look. As you can see in the photo below, it pulls more towards a dark berry plum as opposed to the true purple. It did show more plum-y in natural light but since so many of us are stuck at home these days I figured I'd photograph it in my office as opposed to outside. 

Essie Swing of Things Nail Polish 

My coat lasted me about 5 days without any touchups and normal wear and tear. Be careful as this dark of a color did stain my nails a bit and it was hard to remove all the color. Overall I'd say the polish is a good choice for Fall but if you already have a similar shade from a previous year I don't think it's worth splashing out on. 


Comments